Hi everyone, this will be the final kumihimo tutorial for a while but it is a good one: spiral kumihimo. It is a bit more complicated than the first two braids I showed you but is definitely worth the effort!
Spiral Kumihimo Set Up
The basic braid tutorial gives the basics on the stuff you will need and how to set up for a kumihimo braid. In this case we are using twelve strands. Four of those will need to be longer as they will form the outside of the spiral (the dark pink strands in the photos). I made mine about half as long again which was plenty but it is good to be on the safe side!
The starting points for the braid are shown in the picture below. It is important to make sure the two inner colours (the white and light pink cords in the photo) are relatively close together else you won’t get the spiral effect (I very much learnt this the hard way!).
The Spiral Braid
Once you are set up this is how you make the braid. Note how my inner cords are further apart – make sure you start like the above not below!!!
Ignore the outer cords (dark pink) and left side inner cords (white) for now and moving the right side cords (light pink)
- Take the top right cord from the right side of the disk and bring it down to the bottom right of the disk keeping it on the right side of the bottom cords
- Take the bottom left cord from the right side of the disk and bring it up to the top right of the disk keeping it on the left side of the top cords
(This is similar to the basic braid but instead we are working at a sort of angle on one side of the disk). Next…
Ignore the outer cords (dark pink) and right side inner cords (light pink) now and moving the left side cords (white)
- Take the top right cord from the left side of the disk and bring it down to the bottom left of the disk keeping it on the right side of the bottom cords
- Take the bottom left cord from the left side of the disk and bring it up to the top left of the disk keeping it on the left side of the top cords
- Turn the disc so that the outer (dark pink) cords are at the top and bottom of the disk
- Bring the top right cord down to the right of the two bottom cords
- Bring the bottom left cord up to the left of the two top cords
This is the spiral braid! To carry on turn the disk again so that the now the white cords are on the right side and the light pink are on the left side and repeat! Remember to always turn the disk the same way each time. Carry on to the length you want and make whatever you want!
If you have any problems or questions let me know and I will try and help. You can also send me photos of anything you make and I will feature them in a post with a link to your blog! You should definitely give this technique a go! You can also check out my etsy shop for inspiration and to buy completed pieces of jewellery!